19th and 20th April 2011
HLRS – University Stuttgart, Germany
The Large Knowledge Collider (LarKC) Project
The aim of the EU FP 7 Large-Scale Integrating Project LarKC is to develop the Large Knowledge Collider (LarKC, for short, pronounced “lark”), a platform for massive distributed incomplete reasoning that will remove the scalability barriers of currently existing reasoning systems for the Semantic Web.
This will be achieved by:
- Enriching the current logic-based Semantic Web reasoning methods with methods from information retrieval, machine learning, information theory, databases, and probabilistic reasoning.
- Employing cognitively inspired approaches and techniques such as spreading activation, focus of attention, reinforcement, habituation, relevance reasoning, and bounded rationality.
- Building a distributed reasoning platform and realizing it both on a high-performance computing cluster and via “computing at home”.
This pharma workshop builds on previous tutorials and is customized for drug development/discovery participants:
- The 1st Early Adopters Tutorial, in conjunction with the 6th European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC09).
- The 2nd Early Adopters Tutorial, in conjunction with the 8th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC09).
- The 3rd Early Adopters Tutorial, in conjunction with the 7th European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC10).
- The 4th Early Adopters Tutorial, in Beijing, China in Nov 13th, 2010.
Having completed this workshop, participants will have the basic skills required to run their own experiments on the LarKC platform and develop their own plug-ins for the LarKC platform.
Tuesday, April 19th:
13:00 – 13:15: Welcome and introductions
13:15 – 14:00: LarKC Platform: Architecture, Features, etc. [Matthias Assel, HLRS]
14:00 – 14:30: Hands-on 1: Starting/Setting up the platform and running a simple, pre-defined workflow
14:30 – 15:00: Coffee break
15:00 – 16:00: Hands-on 2:Developing a simple plug-in, creating a new workflow and running it
16:00 – 17:00: Linked Life Data [Vassil Momtchev, Ontotext] Knowledge Extraction and Semantic data integration in the pharmaceutical domain
17:00 – 17:30: LarKC at AstraZeneca [Bosse Andersson, AstraZeneca]
17:30 – 18:00: Discussion and Sum up
19:30: Social dinner
Wednesday, April 20th:
9:00 – 10:00: Hand-on 3: Integrating external/internal repositories/data sources into LarKC
10:00 – 10:30: Coffee break
10:30 – 11:00: Knowledge management/semantic reasoning at Merck KGaA [Luca Toldo, Merck KGaA]
11:00 – 13:00: Hands-on 4: Workflow development: answering queries on LLD via LarKC
13:00 – 14:00: Lunch break
14:00-15:00: Causal Mining with LarKC [Michael Witbrock, Cycorp Inc]
15:00 – 15:30: LarKC, future opportunities and OpenPhacts [Frank van Harmelen, VU University Amsterdam]
15:30 – 16:00: Final discussion, next steps…
Venue: HLRS – University Stuttgart
Hotel on Campus: http://www.commundo-tagungshotels.de/en/stuttgart/accomodation-stuttgart.html
Local Transportation: http://www.hlrs.de/organization/address/maps-directions/
Workshop Speakers (Tentative)
Workshop Speakers and are from:
- Cycorp Europe, Slovenia.
- Vrije University Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Merck KGaA, Germany.
- University of Stuttgart, Germany.
- Ontotext, Bulgaria.
- AstraZeneca R&D Lund, Sweden.
Required Software for Attendees
Attending the Tutorial
Attending the tutorial is free, including 3 coffee breaks.
Please register via email to Bosse Andersson (bo.h.andersson @astrazeneca.com) no later than April 12th, 2011, and please provide some basic personal information, including:
- Tel number
- Email address
- Specific expectations from the workshop
As number of participants is limited we will confirm you’re attendance via email.